Sunday, November 06, 2022

Pimento cheese

 The Mister and I were trying to figure out something for Sunday dinner and he discovered a ham hock in the freezer that I'd bought this summer for pea soup and since Winter showed up and kicked the door in to announce its arrival, I thought pea soup for dinner sounded good and moved on to looking for my moms recipe in the big old green binder.

The binder long ago abandoned being organized in any sort of sensible way, so instead I just flipped the pages, commenting on recipes that we haven't had for a while, or haven't even tried yet.  Honestly, some of this stuff is from the beginning time of my blog - 2004 for God sake!!!! - and we STILL haven't tried it?  

AnyHOO, I before I found the pea soup recipe I found 2 pimento cheese recipes and so The Mister and I started reminiscing about pimento cheese and the probably 4 times we've ever had it.  Next thing I knew The Mister was in the kitchen yelling that we had all the ingredients and how much cheese should he grate.

I didn't note where the recipe came from but it looked it was from Bon Apetit or Gourmet (RIP).

Basically for half a recipe you want 2 cups shredded cheddar, 1/2 cup finely chopped pimento, 1/4 cup (or more) mayo, and season with celery salt.


Ideally we should have used the finer cheese grater for a smoother texture but honestly it doesn't really matter.  It's SO good on bread, chips, toast, sandwiches, crackers, a spoon......yum.