Friday, August 14, 2015

In which we take a perfectly nutritious vegetable, and fry it

I often buy vegetables with the best intentions, and then when I get them home, I'm like, now what?
(The current victim in my fridge are some pattypan squash from the market.)

I bought some lovely thin green beans recently, then promptly buried them in the fridge and ignored them.

After a week I was at the "use it or lose it" stage, so I found inspiration in my food cravings - something fried.  I was going to have a healthy main dish - roasted vegetable wrap - so why not doll up the beans and make them naughty?

The batter was equal parts flour and beer - 1/2 cup of each, and then some water to thin it down a little more, because The Mister was finishing off the can of beer.

The sauce.  Ah.  Sigh.    We have a bottle of Franks Red Hot Bollywood Sauce that we got at Target in  a combo pack with their regular sauce.  It's so delicious, sweet and spicy.  I've never seen it anywhere else, and I don't see it on their website now, so maybe it was a promotional thing?
Anyway, mayo, couple of grated cloves of garlic, some bollywood sauce.  Even the boy liked it!


I don't really like frying at home, but green beans are so thin that they're easy to fry in minimal oil.
Which, unfortunately, means I can make them again and again.