Monday, September 21, 2009

Beans R Good

Things are going pretty well over here. I recently had a doctor's appointment and all was proclaimed good, including that I don't have gestational diabetes (YAY), and my blood work was all good, except that my iron levels are "acceptable but low". I did a search on the internet yesterday before work for some iron rich foods but was coming up with only creepy lists that included whale and seal meat. I twittered (of course I did) what I was looking for, and when I got home that night I saw I had some responses from some very helpful people, suggesting leafy greens, red meat, beans and beets. So we had a big salad for dinner and after dinner I checked out the cupboards for what would be for dinner the next night and we had about 10 cans of beans, and I knew right away what to make -
Mexican Black Bean and Roasted Pineapple Bowl from Everybody Like Sandwiches.

Now who wouldn't like rice and beans and pineapple and salsa all layered together? Only a fool, I tell you.

We made the salsa with tomatos from the garden.

How good does this look?


The iron rich beans were sauteed with onion and bell pepper and spices. The pineapple, which should have been fresh and roasted, was canned and warmed in a pan. But still good. We topped the beans rice and pineapple with the fresh salsa and sour cream. I skipped the cheese on mine.


So delicious and good for you! Give Jeanette's recipe a try, you'll love it.

12 comments:

Jenni said...

Very nice! Will have to try soon.

homeladychef said...

Me too! Always iron low, but i can eat spinach, broccoli, liver, seaweed..

natalia said...

Ciao Sara ! Auguri for the baby ! I'm sorry but I hadn't understood you are pregnant before ! What I did for low iron is a very strange thing : put some (8) iron nails (the ones for horses are iron for sure) in an apple let them stay for 24 hours and then pass them to an other apple ! i know it sounds halloweeny but it worked for me !!

natalia said...

I found it !!! http://books.google.it/books?id=jxsw4tPVUdUC&pg=PA67&lpg=PA67&dq=nailed+apple&source=bl&ots=ZZNAFLsTX1&sig=G74MjsCbnGHD_dLIBwM8lya3UeA&hl=it&ei=Krm3SseSMsmFsAahhuXuDA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4#v=onepage&q=nailed%20apple&f=false

NKP said...

Sounds tasty!
My daughter carries a pouch of almonds with the skin on and raisins, for her iron and energy.

Lien said...

Looks very good and yummy, beans are always good for you. In combination with the tomato salsa even better. (Iron rich should be combined with things that contain a lot of vit. c so the body will take the iron in more easily). Lots of iron in oatmeal, (semi-dried) apricots, lentilles and chickpeas too. You'll be eating yummy things! Thank God there is an alternative to whale meat (Ugh).

Deb in Hawaii said...

Looks like a delicious comfort food dish and good for you too.

foodiechickie said...

Glad all is well.

Sara said...

HLC - seaweed! Guess I have another excuse to go out for veggie sushi!

Thank you Natalia for your good wishes and your advice!

Lien thank you for the information I didn't know it was good to eat iron foods with vitamin c foods, I will try to remember.

Sara said...

Thanks Ani :)

Annie said...

Glad everything is good and congrats by the way!! :)
I love beans and this dish is right up my ally.
By the way sorry about tempting you with those PB Fingers ;)

Sara said...

Annie - I haven't decided if I will forgive you yet.....they look so good!