Saturday, September 21, 2019

My Mom's Tomato Basil Pasta, for the first time in a long time

I bought some absolutely beautiful tomatos earlier this month at the farmers market; the kind that smell and taste like a tomato should, and make the best tomato sandwiches.

We got home at 5:00 on the first Friday of the school year and I had successfully avoided taking the easy route and picking up pizza or burgers - yay! - and stuck with my plan of a quick pasta dish.  I didn't want to do a jarred pasta sauce, and I was leaning towards just a butter and Parm topping when I spotted the tomatos on the counter.  At first I thought I would just chop some up and add them raw to my and The Mister's bowl of noodles, but then I thought why not?  and did a slightly different version of my Mom's Tomato Basil Pasta

 While my noodles were cooking, I melted a lump of butter - probably 2-3 TB - in a pan over medium low heat.  
When it was bubbling, I grated in 5 big cloves of garlic, and stirred them around.  
Before they started to brown, I added 3 tomatos, sliced thinly.  They were so nice and juicy that I omitted the stock and wine from my mom's recipe, and just let the tomatos cook down.  
Right before the pasta was ready I scooped out some of the pasta water from the pot and added about 1/2 a cup to the tomato sauce, and then stirred in some fresh basil, thinly sliced.
I drained the pasta, added it back to the pot, and then poured the sauce in and added a small handful of Parmesan cheese.  
I let it sit for a few minutes and then plated it up.

We ate our pasta with some fruit and raw veg on the side in the living room, watching Amazing Race Canada.  A perfect Friday night.