Thursday, November 24, 2022

Sunday Dinner - my mom's split pea soup recipe

 The weather changed suddenly and horribly to winter early this year and now we have had daylight savings and it's dark all the time and cold and snowy and I hate it.  I am NOT a winter person, even though I made this pretty snowflake craft out of paper bags and will make more once I get my hands on more paper bags

I pulled out the big ole green binder to find my mom's pea soup recipe because pea soup sounded so comforting.


We had meat and cheese  - pimento cheese! - and bread and some raw veggies too.

My Mom's Pea Soup - with some changes from me

2 cups dried yellow split peas

1 1/2 - 2 lb smoked ham hocks

1 large onion, finely chopped

2 stalks celery, finely chopped

2 carrots, sliced

1-2 potatos, chopped

1 TB salt

2 litres water

Wash peas in a sieve under cold water - discard any that are discolored.  Place peas in a heavy 5-6 quart pot and add remaining ingredients.  Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 1 hour.  Remove the cover and simmer 20 minutes more.  Transfer the ham hocks to a cutting board and pull off the ham, cut into bite size chunks and return to the pot.  Simmer until peas and vegetables are tender, and adjust seasonings.