Friday, August 13, 2021

its easy to make fruit sauces, and cheesecake

 Tis the season for lovely fresh fruit.  A super time of the year.  We are still steering clear of people and places, so no trips to farmers markets or farm stands for us this summer.  

I picked up some blueberries and peaches from Gourmet Greens for us to eat au natural, in smoothies, whatever.  

When the blueberries started to get soft, I turned the rest of them into a blueberry compote by washing them, putting them in a pot with a splash of water, some sugar, a dash of salt and a splash of vanilla.  Once the compote came to a simmer I turned down the heat so it would bubble gently, and let it cook for about 30 minutes, until it was thick and delicious.

I served them with some little no bake cheesecakes - I made the base with crushed digestive biscuits and melted butter, and then used this recipe for the filling.  Easy and delicious!


The rest got used up on toast, mixed in to yogurt, I even threw some into a smoothie.  I love blueberry season.  We planted a blueberry bush in the yard this Spring; it gave us a handful of blueberries before the heat and smoke started to damage it.  If it survives the winter, I am going to plant more.

I also bought a case of peaches,  Heaven!  It seemed like such an extravagant thing to do but they are so delicious.  The Mister is getting concerned that we won't get through them all and will lose some to spoilage, but I won't let that happen.  And to prove it to him I made a peach sauce.

For this one I peeled and sliced up some peaches and added them to a saucepan with some butter and brown sugar and a pinch of salt.  Let it simmer for a few minutes and it's ready to go.  If you wanted to, you could add a splash of alcohol - like some whiskey!  That would be good.