Sunday, July 25, 2021

books! of! mystery!

I have become a regular viewer of the ole Tickey-toks, as I like to call them to annoy The Boy, who is barrelling into Tweendom and gets annoyed by his parents no matter what we do.

One of my favorite sorts of videos is what I believe the younguns calls Book-Tok, about what everyone is reading.  A few months ago on there I saw some posts about mystery books from used book shops, in which you don't know what you are buying, only a few clues are given to you on the paper it's wrapped in.  Cute!  Shortly after that I came across a shelf of mystery books in a used book store here in town that I hadn't been to in years and years.

I decided to treat myself to one, and narrowed it down to 2 choices.  Then I noticed that I could sort of the see the title of one of the books, which was one I'd read it before, so that made my choice easy. 

 

 That is also more than I normally like to spend on a used book, but I was caught up in the excitement of it all.

 I have not read it yet, but I will soon.

______________________________________________________

Back in May, the Kamloops Symphony held a book sale, but with a twist, since we were still under strict pandemic rules.  They moved the sale online, and you could order and pay for a bag of books from a variety of genres online, and then go pick it up.  In addition to different genres, they had 2 sizes of bags - 8 books for $10 or 20 books for $20.  I got a back of 20 fiction, and The Mister got a bag of 8 science fiction.

I was a bit disappointed in my bags, to be honest.  Nothing is very recent, despite them advertising they were picking from their "best" books, and a few are from the 70's and 80's.  I took them out of the bags, looked at them, took the photos and....put them back in the bags where they are still sitting in a corner of the basement with some other stuff to be sorted. 

The Mister seemed ok with his bag of science fiction; there was even some excitement over a couple of them, so that's good.  I didn't get a photo of his bag as he put his away promptly, like a normal person.

I will get these on the shelf soon...ish and I will read them, but if I don't like one, I won't force myself to finish it.  I did that with the book I just finished last night, and I stayed up late to hate-finish it.  Not time well spent.

But in the end, the symphony got some money, so that's what really matters.