Tuesday, February 04, 2014

Pineapple Muffins


I made these last weekend to get us going on Sunday morning.  We all like pineapple, and I like homemade muffins better then store bought for controlling size and sugar.

This is from my Notebook #10 and is from a book called Pop It, Stir It, Fix It, Serve It.  I whipped these up at 5am, while everyone snoozed away.  The ingredient list was short and the recipe came together super quick.  The only change I made was the pineapple - the recipe calls for you to use an 8 oz can of tidbits and puree the tidbits and juice.  I may have mentioned I was making these at 5am so there was no way I was turning on the food processor or blender and risk waking up surly boys.  So instead I used 8 ounces of crushed pineapple and juice.  And it worked perfectly!  

I love these muffins.  A new favorite.  As much as I liked them with raisins, next time I might try dried cranberries, or maybe some nuts?

Pineapple Muffins
Adapted from Pop It, Stir It, Fix It, Serve It

2 cups flour
3 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup sugar
8oz crushed pineapple, including some juice
1/2 cup oil
1 tsp vanilla
2 tsp lemon juice
1 egg
1/2 cup raisins or other mix in

Preheat oven to 400'.
Stir all dry ingredients together.  Mix the pineapple, oil, vanilla and egg until well combined, then fold in the flour mixture and the raisins, or other dried fruit or chopped nuts.

Scoop the batter into 12 muffin cups lined with baking cups.  Bake for 15-18 minutes, until brown and cooked.