Saturday, March 07, 2009

Notebook Six - Full of Vitamin C

Book Six is heavy on vegetarian/vegan recipes, originals, and more from my Mom. Lots of fruit and veggie recipes. I'll be pulling this book out when the farmers markets start up. Another tofu mousse recipe.


Ever since our September 2004 trip to Canmore I've had this orange post-it to remind myself to make a chicken wrap with spinach, feta and hot pepper jelly. Haven't done it yet. My Mom's cheesecake on page 1 is the BEST cheesecake ever. Ever!


I love saganaki and I must have at least 10 different recipes for it. Another dish I've never made at home.

I chose this recipe for Orange Slice Jello Shots from the Surreal Gourmet because it just looked so fun. Jello! And booze! Shaped like oranges! Someone remove my finger from the exclamation point key!

I started by cutting 2 oranges in half and trimming a little sliver of peel off the bottoms so they would sit nicely.

The I scooped out the orange flesh. Set aside for a snack later.

Next I dissolved one pack of orange jello in 1/2 cup of boiling water. Then I added 1/2 cup of vodka.

I put the orange halves in a muffin cup to keep them steady.

And then poured in the jello.

Toss in the fridge until set, at least 4 hours. I covered them with plastic wrap and chilled them overnight.

When they are set I cut each half into four pieces with a sharp knife.

And then, we ate 'em.

Like I said, so fun. Fun, easy, and yummy. One warning from the Surreal Gourmet, and myself - this is full of booze! Use caution, and common sense when consuming.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Thank you! I have wanted to try vodka jell-o but didn't know how to do it. I am making these for movie night tonight.

love-2-bake.com said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
love-2-bake.com said...

You're right! Those look like so much fun! I'll just have to hide them from the kids. Thanks for sharing.

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Fun to make to eat and to let the good times roll!!!!
(What exclamation key!!?)

Anonymous said...

Those look great! I would also like to know what that removed comment was,

kickpleat said...

looks so fun! i'm not a jello fan but they sure are pretty :)

foodiechickie said...

Oh my my my. These look lovely. Will have to try this!

Annie said...

So clever! I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hahahaha!