Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Hot and Sour Coconut Soup

This soup is light and fresh. I think it would be wonderful with some shredded chicken mixed in as well.

1 500 ml can coconut milk
2 cups vegetable stock
6 small dried whole red chiles, seeded
3 cloves garlic, chopped roughly
zest of 1/2 lemon
1 cup sliced mushrooms
zest of 1/2 lime
3 green onions, sliced
1/2 cup bean sprouts
juice of 1 lime

In a pot over medium heat combine the coconut milk, veg stock, chiles, garlic, and lemon zest. Simmer for 10 minutes to infuse. Remove from heat and strain, discarding the solids. Return soup to pot and add the mushrooms and lime zest. Simmer for 5 minutes or so, until the mushrooms are soft. Stir in the green onions, bean sprouts and lime juice. Serve immediately.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sara,

You had me at coconut!

I'm a serious coconut fiend but I haven't had a lot of experience cooking with coconut milk. I'm slowly starting to learn in that area. Thanks so much for this recipe! It looks amazing!

Sara said...

thanks Ivonne. I haven't had much experience with coconut milk either, but I am sure enjoying learning with it. You should check out the link to Linda's coconut chicken recipe in my sidebar. It's so good.