Sunday, November 12, 2023

the corner of my kitchen

 There is a corner of my kitchen that has been the bane of my existence for years now.  YEARS.

It is where the fruit bowl and bread products are kept.  Above the counter is the cupboard full of glass jars, measuring cups and water bottles.  Below is the plastic container drawer.  

We used to use multiple bowls to hold the fruit, but that didn't work well, because then there were multiple bowls on the counter.  So I bought a multi level fruit bowl, but it was too tall, and blocked the cabinet door.  I was mad, and couldn't return the fruit bowl, so we kept it.  But I was only ever the only one that would MOVE the fruit bowl so jars and cups and stuff could be put in the cupboard.  Everyone else (The Mister) would leave them on the counter.  Same with the plastic containers, even though there was nothing blocking THAT drawer.  

The bread products were a similar disaster, usually tossed in a pile, until The Mister bought a giant humongous bowl that took up a bunch of room and then no one could see - or would look  to see - if anything was going moldy beneath the surface.  

Kitchen towels would get tossed there, the kids would leave chip and cracker bags there, and I hated it.  

Then a couple of weeks ago I realized - I don't have to live like this!  And bought 2 baskets from Amazon.  I took everything out of the corner, cleaned it all up and then it looked like this - 

I would be embarrassed it anyone knew how often I just stood in the kitchen that weekend and admired the corner.  It was a lot of time.

Does it still look this good now?  God no.  But does it look better than before?  A thousand yeses.