Sunday, November 19, 2023

cookbook cleanup 57 - The Book of Burger by Racheal Ray

 Next up is The Book of Burger.  We do love a burger around here.


 Lasagna burgers.  Grilled cheese burgers. Lamb burgers with walnuts. Hog dog fries (???).   It's all here.  I've had this book for ages and I'm pretty sure I've never cooked out of it before.  A lot of these were too far out for my family to consider, but I made myself a short list from the over 200 recipes.

 We started with the Cubano burger which had you chop some ham up and add to your ground turkey along with some garlic and other seasonings, cook and top with cheese, pickles and mustard.  I was confident that this would be a hit - but it was not.  The kids HATED this burger.  With a fiery passion.  The adults ate them, but after a couple of bites, it was not with much enthusiasm.  These were not a winner.

This book sat idle on my side table for quite a few months after that, but I was determined to decide if it goes or stays so we moved on to the Shepherds Pie burger.  Basically you make little meatloaf patties, cook them, place on garlic bread, top with mashed potatos and gravy and try not to cry while you eat them because they are so dang good.


 


Then we tried the Satay sliders, except made regular burger size and with pork instead of chicken.  This was another amazing burger - the cucumber onion relish was to die for.  Even The Girl ate it!

Even with two hits and one miss, this one is leaving the shelf.  While there are a few more - just a few - that I'd like to try, I know the kids won't eat most of them so what's the point.

Back on the bookshelf - 20 Donated -37