Sunday, November 05, 2023

angel food cake from scratch

 I had a hankering for angel food cake this summer - beautiful and light served with berries and whipped cream outside on a sunny day.  Mmmm!  

So I went to the store to buy a mix.  And then another store, and then another store.  Not one store had angel food cake mix!  I stood in the aisle of the last (and of course most expensive) store and googled angel food cake.  Recipe after recipe confirmed you needed cake flour, cream of tartar, superfine sugar, and lots of egg whites.


It physically pained me to see the prices of the stuff I needed. 

cream of tartar $7.99

pastry flour $8.79

egg whites $4.69 

I didn't even stop in front of the superfine sugar.  Regular sugar would be just fine, thank you. 


 LOOK at that.  Angel Food Cake perfection on the outside.


 On the inside????  Maybe not quite so much.  It looked great, and tasted great, but was definitely heavier than an angel food cake should be.  I bet that damn superfine sugar would have made a difference.

 

Recipe from Back in the Day Bakery