Wednesday, October 04, 2023

gumbo

 We were cleaning out the freezer a while back and unearthed some ground chicken and turkey bones.  I was anxious to use them up as I wasn't sure how long they'd been in there and puzzled over what to do with them.  Chicken chili?  Meatball soup?  But then the best idea came - GUMBO


 I used Lucy Buffett's recipe as the starting point for the roux and veggies and broth quantities - using my turkey stock I made in the instant pot from the bones - and then added in chicken meatballs from the ground chicken and some leftover sausage from the fridge.  

I served rice and steamed spinach on the side, and once we had dinner, I stirred the spinach into the leftovers for me and The Mister, since the kids are anti-spinach and anti-leftovers.

It was probably the best gumbo I've made, and it DEFINITELY tasted better the next day.

The Mister suggested gumbo for Christmas Day but was shouted down by The Boy and The Grandpa, so we'll be having it New Years Day instead.  Maybe a new tradition?