Saturday, May 01, 2021

sunday dinner - soup and brownies

 Spring is finally here, although it is still coming and going.... we've had lots of gloomy days and lots of strong wind, which I hate, and not nearly enough rain.  We need a couple of good rainy days to wash away the grime and water the grass and trees.

I was hoping to put a rainy day vibe out there for Mother Nature with this Sunday dinner - a nice light but hearty soup and decadent brownies for dessert, but sadly, there was just more wind.

I wish I'd taken a photo of the greens, orzo and meatball soup I made from Smitten Kitchen.  Absolutely delicious!  I made a few changes; the grocery store didn't have any ground poultry for the meatballs so I used ground pork, and I broiled the meatballs before adding them to the soup.  It just felt right that day.  It was a pretty soup, and so tasty.  The kids enjoyed the meatballs and the orzo, but complained about "the green stuff" (spinach).  They didn't complain too much though, because they had both seen dessert and wanted to stay on our good sides so they would get a piece of - 

 

Chocolate Mousse Brownie - so good!  So easy!

I unfortunately slightly overcooked the brownie, so the crispy edges were VERY crispy, but it was very nice and the mousse on top was mmmmmmm good.

Happy May 1!  May.  I can't believe it.