Saturday, February 15, 2020

Cookbook Cleanup Book 14 - From a Southern Oven

Book 14 is a dollar store find, and it was $3 well spent.

From a Southern Oven shares over 150 Southern recipes that cover everything from pimento cheese to crab cups to country ham and beyond.

This is a fun book to just read as well - the history of the recipes, the authors stories and opinions - what the hell a scuppernong is - make for a great book.

I tried 6 recipes from the book, and I had to cut myself off because every time I open this one I find something new I want to make.

I started with the Ham Tetrazzini, which I mildly screwed up by forgetting to add a couple of ingredients, but it still turned out very good.  And provided me with a new photo for my bad photos of good food label.






 We also tried the Sunday Breakfast Rice and Sausage Casserole, which the kids flat out refused to eat for breakfast.  What do they know?

The Wheat and Honey bread marked by triumphant return to bread baking and it was picture perfect, which you will have to image as I haven't been taking many photos lately.

The Mississippi Muffins were really more like delicious cupcakes, and Aunt Rhoda Gray's Refrigerator Cookies disappeared faster than any other cookie in recent memory.

Sausage Loaf was a bread heavy meatloaf make with pork and sausage and it made the best sandwiches.

I have so many more recipes I want to try - jambalaya, pimento mac and cheese, tomato pudding, fudge pie.....this is a great book.

Cookbook Cleanup results so far - Bookshelf -7  Donated - 7