Saturday, July 23, 2016

Sunday dinner - Chicken with Coconut Pineapple Sauce and Coconut Tea Cake

This was a GREAT Sunday dinner!  We tried 3 new recipes, and they were all hits.

First was Chicken with Coconut Pineapple Sauce.  This was a recipe saved from my recipe collection purge.  I've probably had this recipe at least 10 years.  No idea where it came from.

We served the chicken with salad, green beans and delicious roasted carrots 
from Gwyneth Paltrow's second cookbook.  The book is growing on me, 
but I don't like it nearly as much as I like her first.  
The carrots could change my mind though - so good.  


Dessert was Coconut Tea Cake from Dorie Greenspan, from her very good book, Baking
 I omitted the rum, and served with berries and whipped cream.  
It's good on its own, but so tasty with berries and cream. 



Chicken with Coconut Pineapple Sauce
source unknown with some changes from me

6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
3 Tb flour
salt
2 Tb oil

Sauce:
2/3 cup coconut milk
6 Tb pineapple juice or orange juice
4 Tb soy sauce
2 Tb lemon juice
2 Tb brown sugar
2 tsp cornstarch
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp ginger, minced or grated

Preheat oven to 425'.  Spray a baking dish with cooking spray.  I used a 9x13.
Stir flour and salt together.  Lightly coat the chicken with flour.  Shake to remove excess.


Heat oil in a large pan over medium heat, and cook chicken until brown and nearly cooked through.
Place in one layer in your baking dish.

Meanwhile, whisk together the sauce ingredients.  

Pour the sauce over the chicken and bake uncovered for 15-20 minutes, until the chicken is cooked.


Coconut Tea Cake recipe here, with bonus icing recipe.  I would try this bonus icing recipe.....

Carrot recipe here - although note that the website says the recipe 
is suitable for vegans which it is not, because of the honey.