Sunday, October 04, 2015

Okanagan Almonds

One thing I found at the Penticton Farmer's Market that I was not expecting to 
see was locally grown almonds.  

The vendor offered The Boy and I one to sample, and they were 
delicious and such a cool find, I had to buy a bag.

Here's what they looked like - they had a beautiful green grey velvety outer shell.


The outer shell was split open, so it was easy to pull the seed out.  
It looks almost like a small peach pit.


Along one side of the shell is a ridge.  The shell is soft, so it's easy to pull/tear 
off the ridge down the side of the shell.


Pull the shell open, and.....


There is the almond!


Now repeat that for a whole bag, by yourself while sitting on a hotel bed.  It gets old pretty fast.

I was so excited by the purchase, and trying to keep an eye on all the family at the busy market, that I didn't think to ask the vendor how long they would keep, or any details like that.
I did a quick search on the internet on my phone, but didn't see anything about storing or keeping them, so we ate them quickly.  The texture was a bit softer than almonds you'd buy in the store, and slightly more delicious.  A fun find on our trip.