Monday, January 10, 2011

Spicy Pork and Tofu Soup


We were in Vancouver in the Spring and ate at a little noodle shop, the name of which I forgot to write down, unfortunately. I had spicy tofu and noodle soup, which had pork and corn and green onions in it and it was so wonderful. I think about it fondly.

I had to come up with my own version because who knows if or when I'll ever get back to that little shop again. This version, my first version, I left out the corn and replaced the noodles with rice. It was really delicious and satisfied my craving perfectly, although I think I'll still try to make one or two more variations.

2 tb vegetable oil
1 tb finely chopped fresh ginger
4 cloves garlic finely chopped
250 grams ground pork
1 tb (or more or less to taste) chili garlic paste
4 cups chicken stock
2 tb soy sauce
3 green onions, finely sliced plus more for garnish
1 pkg soft tofu, chopped or squished into small bits with your fingers
cooked rice

Heat the oil in a pot over medium high heat. Add the ginger and garlic and cook until fragrant and softening. Add the pork and cook until no longer pink. Stir in the chili garlic sauce and cook for 1 minute.
Add the stock and soy sauce, turn heat to high and bring to the boil. Add the green onions and the tofu. Simmer for 5 minutes.
Ladle the soup into bowls and spoon some rice into each bowl. Sprinkle with more green onion.