Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Presto Pasta - Barbecue Pork Pasta

Have you taken part in Presto Pasta yet? If not, head over to Ruths to check it out!
This week we've done a really fun pasta...

Recently (I think) Food Network Canada started showing Road Tasted, a U.S. show hosted by the two sons of Paula Deen. I've only seen it once, but the premise seems to be these two travelling around and eating stuff. Not a bad job at all.

The episode I saw they were in the Southern U.S. somewhere and one of the dishes that was prepared for them was pasta made with seasoned barbecued pork butt and barbecue sauce. We had smoked a pork butt in the spring and had one small bag of meat left. Scott immediately went to rummage thru the freezer so we could make some barbecue pasta of our own.





Barbecue Pork Pasta

2 tb oil
1/2 small onion, diced
2 sticks of celery, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup barbecue sauce, preferably smokey
1/4 to 1/2 cup water to thin to your desired consistency
1 1/2 cups diced barbecue pork (like this if you have it)
salt and pepper
300 grams dried pasta
shredded cheese for serving

Heat the oil over medium high heat. Cook the onion and celery until soft. Add the garlic and cook 2-3 more minutes. Add the barbecue sauce and water. Mix well and bring to a simmer. Add the pork and simmer gently for 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and add some hot sauce if you are feeling sassy. Reduce the heat to medium low and let cook while you bring a big pot of water to the boil for the pasta. When the water boils add some salt and the pasta. Cook until al dente, drain and toss with the sauce. Serve with shredded cheese (like mozzarella) on the side.

4 servings.


6 comments:

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

That would sound spot on if I had that BBQ pork in the freezer. Wish I could have dropped in for dinner!

Sara said...

Tanna - we would have loved to have you! i'm sure that a similar quicker pork could be made, maybe a tenderloin, some spices and liquid smoke?

Lis said...

That sounds great and you made my heart skip a beat when I saw you mentioned Paula.. I heart her :D

I'm curious.. what kind of pasta did you use?

Am so tickled you are a DB now! WOOO!! hehee

xoxo

Ruth Daniels said...

Slurp - that's me drooling. What a delicious meal. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

This sounds really delish!
Oh, the Road Tasted show...it's good they feature family-run eateries and not chain restaurants :)

Sara said...

Lis - they were shells. I just discovered Paula on Food TV Canada, she is on in the mornings while I'm getting ready for work. I LOVE her, she is so cute!!! When we were in Hawaii, I saw she even has her own magazine!

Ruth - drool worthy it is.

Tigerfish - sadly I've only seen the show that once. I'll have to see if they are still showing it here.