Friday, November 18, 2005

Roasted Asparagus


This is truly the best way to cook asparagus. One bundle of asparagus serves 4 people.
Preheat broiler. Wash and trim the asparagus. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Season with salt and add a couple of generous glugs of olive oil. (Don't season with pepper as it will burn.) Toss together and spread out in an even layer on the pan. Take 2 large garlic cloves, peel and cut in half. Stick them under the spears so they don't burn. Place the tray under the broiler for about 4 or 5 minutes. Take out, stir and back under the broiler for another 4 minutes. Check them at this point. They should be bright green and have a few brown and crisp spots. Turn onto a plate, season with a bit more salt and some lemon juice. This goes very well with steak.

4 comments:

it's only fuel said...

This is my very favorite way to eat all veggies. Yum!

Anonymous said...

Oh my! They look still crisp (not limp) and so inviting. I wish I could snack on some right now! Would you suggest the same method for white asparagus?

Sara said...

Sarah Lou, I've only ever had white asparagus once and I wasn't really impressed. But I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Sara said...

As long as the paper doesn't burst into flames, I wouldn't worry Tiffanie!