Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Cherry Sourdough Muffins

The Mister has been baking bread for a while now so he's not a new pandemic bread baker (not that there's anything wrong with that) but he has become a basic bitch in that he's jumped on the pandemic sourdough bread train (not that there's anything wrong with that either.)

His first sourdough starter ended with the starters death around day 6 or 7.  He complained, read some more recipes, decided what needed to be changed, and his next starter has been alive for a few weeks now.  He's made some very delicious bread with the starter and I'm eating way too much of it but it's so good I can't stop.  Will my clothes ever fit again?  Yo, I don't know.

Somewhere last week I came across an article about what to do with your sourdough starter or starter discard, and this muffin recipe leapt out at me.  Sourdough muffins! 






I don't have any frozen blueberries but I do have some frozen cherries, so I cut them up a bit before adding them to the batter.  I also used 1/2 cup cornmeal and 1 1/2 cups of flour in hopes that the kids would like them.

I got 12 regular sized muffins and 12 mini muffins out of the batch.  The temperature seemed way too high to me and the muffins were browning very quickly so I turned it down to 350 which seemed much more reasonable.



It's a light tasting muffin, not too sweet - which I like.  You can't taste the starter, but I don't think that matters.  I LOVED the cherries in it!
If you've jumped on the sourdough train too - a very good train to be on - you might want to give these a try.