Sunday, January 27, 2019

Freezer Cleanout - Part 2

It is a bit sad how exciting I find it to open my freezer and see a bit of space.
I have a small life.

So!

I did very well on what I pulled out of the freezer on the second week. The turkey bone bag was so big I was able to make 2 batches of turkey stock - I made one into soup that same day and used some of the roasted garlic in the the soup (turkey noodle, so good, I was the only one who ate it)  and froze the other batch of broth.  I made the broth in the Instant Pot.  Very easy.

I used the blueberries for a pan of Blueberry Grunt from The Urban Vegan, and added some strawberries that I bought especially for that Sunday dessert.

The chicken cutlets were actually pork - and they got eaten on the Sunday as well.

The sausages were made into a weird crock pot thing that no one really liked.

The buns got eaten for breakfasts and lunches, and the pirogis and bacon made an easy weeknight dinner with some broccoli and peas.

Unfortunately the kebabs got tossed - once thawed it was clear one was an odd shade of greeney brown, which made me nervous, so I got rid of them.



Here is what I took out of the freezer last Saturday morning:

A half bag of ice left over from when our fridge died.  I tossed it.
Half a bag of frozen papaya - will be good for smoothies.
Frozen black bananas
Corn on the cob
Cooked turkey
Cooked pork belly slab
Naan bread
Flatbread shell
Not pictured - a bag of chopped rhubarb


The papaya went into a smoothie with some watermelon and strawberries from the  fridge and a black banana from the counter.  There's a bit left but it won't last long.
The naan bread and flatbreads were turned into Saturday night pizzas.
The turkey and corn were used for a weeknight dinner, and the pork belly was served with eggs and toast.
The rhubarb became a Sunday night dessert.

Yesterday morning (week 4)  I trekked back to the freezer, admired the growing amount of room again, and emerged with this:



ANOTHER bag of turkey bones.  Going to make it into stock and freeze it; makes more sense to have frozen turkey stock than bones.
Leftover ham slices/chunks - not sure what to do with this.
A couple of meat pies from Costco
Apple muffins
2 seafood patties bought from a butcher. 
Not pictured - a container of  homemade "Hawaiian Chicken" I will thaw for dinner later in the week.

The pickings are getting slimmer and weirder.

There are so many bananas down there - it may be time for some banana baking.

I am going to have to do some internetting - there is a lot of frozen spinach down there, both bags I have portioned and frozen and a couple of the blocks you get from the store.  What to do?

I tossed out two items this week - some old popsicles and a single serving size container of leftovers that was SO freezer burned it hurt my eyes.  The plastic container it was in had a crack, so it was definitely time for it to go.