Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Sunday Dinner - Onion Soup




This was Onion Soup from The Bouchon Cookbook and it was totally amazing.  
Best onion soup I`ve ever made and one of the top I`ve ever eaten too.

It took a long time, and that is what makes it so good.  The onions cook for hours 
and hours - the recipe says 5 hours, but I stopped at 4 because they looked 
good and also I wanted to go to bed.  
I made cheesy croutons for the tops since our bowls are not oven safe, 
and I like it that way better anyway. 

Just cut up your bread (this day I used a baguette)
 and place on a baking sheet.  
Season with salt and pepper and drizzle with olive oil and toss it together with your hands.  
Bake or broil, stirring once or twice until brown and crisping.  
Then when you are ready to eat, push all the croutons close together
 in one layer, sprinkle with cheese, and return to the oven for the cheese to 
melt and start to brown in spots.  Remove from the oven, pull a chunk 
of cheesy croutons free from the mass, and plop onto your soup. 

 Easy and delicious!