Thursday, March 19, 2009

"Mashed" Cauliflower

I can't believe it's been more than 3 years since I was introduced to Mashed Cauliflower (I called it pureed back then but Scott calls it mash now), and it's still a favorite side dish of ours. I got this from a dieting friend who made it because it was better for her than mashed potatos but with a similar taste and texture.

And it really is great. Today I am still as surprised as I was 3 years ago that Scott loves it as much as he does. You are not going to fool anyone into thinking it's potatos, so don't try. Just embrace it for what it is, a fantastic easy side dish.

To make Mashed Cauliflower I use:

a head of cauliflower, sliced up
water reserved from the steamer
butter
salt and pepper
parmesan cheese

Core your cauliflower and slice/chop into pieces. Place in a steamer, cover and steam until tender, about 20 minutes.


When the cauliflower is tender, scoop it out of the pot into your food processor. Add some of the reserved water from cooking, some salt and pepper, and puree. You want to make this smooth - no lumps. Turn off the machine, scrape down the sides and add some more water if needed. I used to add olive oil or milk, but now I usually add only water, or sometimes veg broth if I have any leftover. Puree again and when the cauliflower is a good consistency, add a spoon or two of butter and more salt and pepper if you need it. Scoop into a bowl and serve.


Depending on what we are eating with this, sometimes I'll add some cheese on top.

This is so tasty! So easy! So good for you! I know some people say to stay away from "white food" but Cauliflower is low in calories and fat, and high in Vitamin C and fiber. So do as we do and occasionally say NO to mashed potatos and YES to mashed cauliflower!

7 comments:

natalia said...

Ciao Sara ! I 've never tried this !I'll have to make it soon it's easy and good !! I'm sorry I didn't mke it for the WCC ! But I'll try the pane francese !!Grazie

Anonymous said...

My favorite mashed vegetable is carrots and turnip. I have never had cauliflower mashed, now I will have to try!

Sara said...

Natalia - I hope you enjoy it! No worries about WCC. Let me know if you try the bread.

Mags - I haven't had that in ages! Thanks for the reminder. Have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

I always heard about mashed cauliflower, but was kind of suspicious...now I have a reason to try it! Thanks!

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

This is just Yes Yes Yes! It isn't mashed potatoes, it is just good.

NKP said...

I loves me some cauliflower - I think it is an unsung hero up there with cabbage et al.
Sounds great!

Amanda at Little Foodies said...

I love mashed cauliflower. Why do people say to avoid white food I wonder?