Sunday, August 10, 2008

That Cookbook Thing. Cooking with friends and Julia Child.

When last you saw the Julia Crew we'd wiped the soup off our faces, and come to terms that the curry sauce wasn't a complete success.

We've moved on to Rapee Morvandelle (Gratin of Shredded Potatos with Ham and Eggs and Onions). All the usual suspects Mike, and Ruth, Mary, Deborah, Mary, Shaun, Elle and Kittie are back too.

There's not a whole lot to say about this recipe, other than it's delicious and pretty easy to make. Onion (I used red) is sauteed in butter and oil (I cut back the amount). Diced ham (I used black forest) is added and cooked for a few minutes. The ham and onions are mixed with eggs, grated potato, garlic (more than the paltry 1/2 clove called for by the recipe), minced chives, milk and swiss cheese. Bung it in the oven and cook until firm and golden brown.

This would be a perfect brunch dish - eggs, ham, cheese and potatos all snuggled together in an easy to serve wedge. There is nothing about this I would change, although I might play with the herbs a little - maybe some basil, or sage?
Have a great Sunday!

8 comments:

glamah16 said...

Now that sounds like a fun group. Who wouldnt want to work theri way through Julia Child!

Ruth Daniels said...

It was a great dish, and I like your version. Do you think anyone today would make it with just a measly half a clove of garlic?

Can't wait until the next Julia dish.

Peabody said...

All things wonderful baked into one brunch treat. Yum.

Laura Paterson said...

Mmmm - it was tasty, wasn't it! I like the idea of having it for brunch - maybe one for next time!

Anonymous said...

Sara,

Your's looks really, really good! Mine was in the oven a bit too long, so it's not as pretty. But it was tasty, wasn't it? Simple, but with everything that's good in this world. Thanks again!

Deborah said...

I see Ruth's jumping on the 1/2 clove of garlic again - but I agree with her completely! :)

I agree about the herbs - I'm definitely using some fresh basil next time. I can never get enough.

Shaun said...

Sara, darling ~ This recipe is perfect for brunch, which is why it is a good example chosen to highlight the Lunch chapter. I still think it would have been more interesting to look at soufflees, but who makes soufflee for lunch? It seems that we all had a good result with this dish (especially since I'm sure most of us ignored the suggestion to use but 1/2 clove of garlic!).

Lis said...

This looks terrific! Perfect for a brunch and/or hungover morning - I'd assume you could make the night before and just reheat - or even eat cold?

You shut comments down for the chop salad.. uhmm.. how did they make it? How do you make it? I'm thinking of chop salad for the reception... pwease? :)

xoxoxo