Thursday, June 05, 2008

Presto Pasta Nights - Yummy pasta in less than 30 minutes

For Presto Pasta Night this week apparently I am delusional. I have made a fast no cook pasta sauce perfect for those hot summer days when you just can't stand to be in the kitchen. Except. Except it's chilly....maybe even cold here right now. Who took the warm weather away? To have to wear socks and shoes and jeans and sweaters in June is just so wrong.

Last week I got my weekly email from Vegetarian Times with a link to some no cook, 30 minutes or less pasta sauces. Two caught my eye, and the other night I went shopping to pick up the ingredients for the first one - Strozzapreti with Cheese and Green Peppercorns. But I couldn't fine strozzapreti pasta, romano cheese or brined peppercorns. So I made some changes, came up with the delicious dish below and am so glad I made it anyway, instead of passing it by because of a couple of hard-to-find-here-ingredients.

Pasta with Zucchini Mint and Capers.

2 servings

1/3 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
2 TB chopped fresh mint leaves
1 TB olive oil
1 tsp capers, drained
1 cup grated zucchini
1 garlic clove
5 oz dry pasta, i used penne


Place the cheese through garlic in a blender or mini chopper. Grind until everything is chopped up. Place in a bowl and mix with the zucchini. Season with salt and pepper.
Bring a large pot of water to the boil and cook the pasta. When the pasta is done, drain and toss with the zucchini-cheese mixture. Serve.


9 comments:

ostwestwind said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ostwestwind said...

Northern Germany has the warm not to say hot weather for weeks now. I "cooked! lots of ice cream these days

Ulrike from Küchenlatein

Ruth Daniels said...

Sounds perfectly divine. I do hope the weather makes up its mind that it's almost summer! Here in Halifax, it's 10C, my Toronto family is suffering from over 30C.

Thanks for sharing this with Presto Pasta Nights, whatever the weather.

Anonymous said...

Zucchini and mint, that's an interesting combo! Thanks!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

This is such a great way to use zucchini Sara. I can't wait for an overabundance of zucchini. Some day you will have to take the trip down to Kelowna and I will take you to our Italian Supermarket Valerosa and to Mediterranean Market. You would have found everything you need. Of course if we really want everything we need in the foodie world it is Vancouver for us!!The joys of living in a small centre.Also I have passed an award on your way:D

Katerina said...

Yumm! I made a pasta recipe with mint and zucchini last year, they just go together so well don't they?

LisaRene said...

Mint isn't just for Mojito's! Glad to see it incorporated into a yummy pasta dish :)

Jenny said...

That looks great!

Deborah said...

Your version sounds fantastic! And fast is a great thing in my book!