Thursday, November 29, 2018

We got an Instant Pot

Our crock pot is super old and is starting to show it - taking longer to warm up and cook things.  It isn't a huge deal at this point as it does still work, but I was keeping my eye out for a replacement before it did completely conk out.

My most lovely Boo (eternal BFF) gave me a generous gift card for my birthday this year with a note suggesting I buy a new crock pot.  She's the best!
I started investigating what kind of crock pot I wanted and quickly switched gears to heavily considering an Instant Pot.

I have a super duper (unfounded) fear of pressure cookers but my cousin was singing the praises of hers earlier this year and there are so many food websites that talk about it now it's hard to get away from.  We went to the store to do a little preliminary research on them and walked out with a 6 quart Instant Pot.

I was so excited to get started that as soon as we got home I opened it all up and started reading about it.  Steaming and venting and pressure and seals all brought back my (very unfounded) fears of pressure cookers and I stuffed everything back in the box and put the box in the corner of my room with my dusty yoga stuff.

A week (or maybe 2, who remembers such details) later I told myself to suck it up, get over it and try it out.  After reading some soup recipes I made a truly delicious turkey soup and bam!  It was on.

I've steamed countless squashes, "roasted" sweet potatos, made more soups, a couple of curries,  plain chicken and a mu shu-ish pork.  Everything has been terrific and easy.  I am a IP fan.

I made this IP Butter Chicken for a work potluck.  Not too shabby.


Above - IP squash.  They come out perfectly every time.
Below the most delicious Red Lentil and Kale Curry


This was one of our first recipes we made - Egg Roll Bowls. So tasty.