Wednesday, September 26, 2018

Sunday Dinner - Gumbo


I am not a big seafood fan but the rest of the fam likes it, so lately I've been trying to add more of it to our menu for them.  I found this recipe at Food 52 and I do like Gumbo so I made it for a Sunday Dinner.

There are 2 pretty big changes I made to the recipe - I used baby shrimp instead of the medium shrimp called for.  I don't mind baby shrimp and they are so cute looking floating around in a soup.
Anyway, back when I found this recipe we were actually having shrimp for dinner that night so I saved the shells and froze them, so I already had the shells to make the stock which made the decision to use the baby shrimp and easy one.

The other change I did was to use 1 1/2 times of all the ingredients except the shrimp and the rice, to make it a bit more soupy, the way we like it, and to stretch it a bit further.  It was a good choice.

This was an excellent meal and even though The Grandpa and The Mister were a bit skeptical ("You mean there's no okra?  It isn't a gumbo if you don't use okra!" and "What kind of sausage are you using?  No sausage?  OH.") THEY LOVED IT TOO.

Very very delicious recipe here - Shrimp Gumbo