Last weekend I turned on the tv and much to my surprise and delight, the food channel was actually showing an actual cooking show with actual cooking AND it was Nigella Kitchen! The bad news was that it was just ending so I didn't get to see anything, but I set my PVR to record any future episodes.
To celebrate I pulled out a couple of my Nigella cookbooks to find something to make for dinner in the upcoming week. But then I added butterscotch chips to my shopping list so I could make her Banana Butterscotch Muffins instead.
Pictures will be lousier than usual, my computer seems to have lost the ability to crop photos. Sad face.
These were so yummy - even my picky child liked them! The butterscotch and banana were terrific together.
The recipe notes these are also good made with white or dark chocolate, but I'm sticking with the butterscotch. A new family favorite.
From Nigella Express, also on Nigella.com
- 3 very ripe bananas
- 125 ml Vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 250 grams plain flour
- 100 grams caster sugar
- ½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 150 grams butterscotch morsel(s) (or chocolate)
Preheat the oven to 200°C/gas mark 6/400°F and line a 12-bun muffin tin with muffin papers.
- Mash the bananas and set aside for a moment.
- Pour the oil into a jug and beat in the eggs.
- Put the flour, sugar, bicarbonate of soda and baking powder into a large bowl and mix in the beaten-egg-and-oil mixture, followed by the mashed bananas.
- Fold in the butterscotch morsels, then place equal quantities in the prepared muffin tin - I use an ice cream scoop and a spatula - and bake in the oven for 20 minutes.