Friday, December 07, 2012

my father's daughter

I read a few strong reviews about Gwyneth Paltrow's cookbook - my father's daughter. Strong enough that I put it on the top of my wish list. And then I was lucky to receive a book store gift card, and you can probably figure out the rest. 

I really like this book - I have cooked more out of it in the past couple of months than I have out of any book I own, probably ever. The recipes are well written and solid, and her stories are intriguing and heartfelt. 

 For me, this is not the perfect book. Gwyneth and I have differences in our palates - she eats a lot of seafood, which I don't. She also eats duck, but not beef or pork, and I am the complete opposite. But we have enough in common that I declare this book a winner, and one of my favorite cookbooks, ever. Hands down. Here's what I've made so far- 


Blythe's Blueberry Muffins
Roasted Cauliflower
Slow Roasted Tomatos (the extra crispy ones were my fault, not the recipes)
Vietnamese Prawn Sandwich
Best Stir Fried Chicken, and Kale Fried Rice with Scallions
White Bean Soup
Fried Sole Sandwich with Spicy Sauce and Pickles
Ten Hour Chicken

I love, love, LOVE this book, and have nothing but good things to say about it. I have a ton more recipes picked to try out, so you may see more photos of amazing dishes later, but for now here's what you need to know - buy this book.