Saturday, December 06, 2008

Weekend Cookbook Challenge - Appetizers

So I am the host for this months Weekend Cookbook Challenge. Traditionally, participation in December is low, so to try to combat that I've chosen the theme Appetizers.

The past few months have been incredibly busy and tiring for me, so lately the number one priority of most meals I've been making has been fast and easy. My first appetizer recipe of the month for WCC fits that bill, and could easily be served for your main course too - meatballs!

Who doesn't love meatballs? And who doesn't love a dish made with frozen store bought meatballs and a crock pot? Heaven, I tell ya.

Once you've got your sauce ingredients mixed together, there is nothing for you to do for 3 or so hours. And if you are making this for a party or get together, you can remove just a few mballs at a time, keeping the rest warm until needed.



Slow Cooker Cranberry Meatballs
from Holiday Appetizer Magazine

1 can cranberry sauce
3/4 cup chile sauce
1/4 cup water
2 tb brown sugar
1 tsp lemon juice
2 lbs fully cooked meatballs, thawed (I used one 750 g box of low fat meatballs. You could also use meatless meatballs too.)

Stir together the cranberry sauce, chile sauce, water, sugar and lemon juice in the crock pot. Add the meatballs and stir to coat. Cover and cook the meatballs on low heat for 3 to 4 hours, until the sauce is bubbly and the meatballs are cooked through. Serve warm.

Would you like to join me in Weekend Cookbook Challenge this month? Then find an appetizer recipe (from a book, magazine, internet etc), make it, blog it, and send me a link. My email is iliketocook AT shaw DOT ca, and the deadline is December 30.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Spinach Bites

10 oz chopped, frozen spinach - drained
1 1/2 cups Stove Top Stuffing
3/4 cup finely chopped onion
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 tsp garlic salt
1/4 tsp thyme
1/4 tsp pepper
3 eggs - beaten
1/3 cup melted butter

Mix all ingredients. Let stand for one hour. Shape into 1 inch balls. Bake on greased or parchment lined baking sheet at 350degrees for 20 minutes

Try substituting basil, curry, sesame seeds, Cajun seasong or ....

Sara said...

thank you anony! my mom makes something similar and they are yummy.

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

I would never have thought to put cranberry with chili sauce! I'll have to try that with my Italian Sausage meatballs.

Mrs Ergül said...

I really like that plate!

Sara said...

tanna, me neither! i never buy chile sauce.

mrs e - yes it's cute isn't it! it's an olive plate from the bay, i think.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

You are getting closer and closer to reaching your goal Sara!!

Amanda at Little Foodies said...

I've never done the weekend cookbook challenge but as you're hosting I'm off to look through my cook books to find a recipe that I want to try.

Love meatballs and love that plate!

Annie said...

It sounds tangy and delicious!

P.s. I hope your lasagna turned out good. I always worry that I forgot to type an ingredient or step in the recipe. Anyways I hope everyone enjoyed it :)

Deborah said...

Oooh, my cookbook of the month this month is an appetizer cookbook, so I need to submit something! These meatballs sound amazing!

Melody said...

I have that exact dish and I never thought to use it for meatballs - perfect. I usually use olives.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry I didn't have time to participate this month...YUMMY on the meatballs. I love the fact they can be made in the crock pot!