Thursday, July 03, 2008

Wednesday/Thursday

Last night I made something for dinner that I wanted to make for years and years but at the same time has scared me - Watermelon and Feta salad.

I pared down Nigella Lawson's recipe a little - cubes of watermelon, smaller cubes of feta, chopped black olives from the deli, and thinly sliced red onion marinated for 15 or 20 minutes in fresh lime juice.

It was great, of course. Really great. Sweet, salty and rich. And fast. I can see myself making this a lot over the summer.

___________________________________________________________

Tonight for dinner we stopped by the Wok Box, which opened a week or so ago. We took our order of coconut shrimp, wontons, and a Mongolian stirfry to go. I have become a fan of coconut shrimp, and these were pretty darn good, especially for take out. The sauce - "spicy coconut curry" was pretty bland and not that interesting. The wontons were fine, but their sauce - "spicy chile garlic" was atomically hot. Too hot. The stir fry was alright, but there was wayyyyyy more rice than veggies and tofu. The tofu was weird; chewy and stiff. Fortunately there wasn't much of it. The menu lists snow peas, celery, carrots, broccoli, water chestnuts and baby corn as the veggies in that particular stir fry. There were maybe 3 snow pea pods, no celery, no water chestnuts, and one small piece of baby corn. It was all carrot. Which was ok. The sauce was nice, and the dish filled us up. I'll go back one or two more times at least, and hopefully it will get a little better as time goes by.


4 comments:

Peter M said...

You;ve just enjoyed a salad classic Greeks have been having for years...mint also works well here. I hope you enjoy it through the summer!

Sara said...

Peter, it was delicious, and I'm only sorry I did not try it sooner!

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

I have never seen this! But it is so to my taste. I simply must try it. And yes with Peter's mint!

Lis said...

OHMYGOD I can't believe I've never seen anything like this before - it's right up my alley with the sweet/salty-savory thing happening! I'll be making this for sure!

xoxoxoxo