Saturday, June 09, 2007

Weekend Cookbook Challenge 17 - Cornmeal

This month's Weekend Cookbook Challenge is the 17th and is hosted by Ani over at Foodie Chickie. Ani chose Cornmeal as her theme.

I can't believe how close to the deadline I am posting this, but this theme really kicked my butt. To my surprise, I had a difficult time finding a recipe I wanted to make. When Ani told me she was choosing cornmeal, I remembered a spoon bread recipe I had seen that I wanted to try. So I made that. Eh, it was only OK.

This was so boring, Scott fell asleep while eating it.

So I decided to keep looking. I looked. And looked, and looked. And three weeks later I was still looking. I tore my bookcase apart looking for something that interested me. Nothing! I didn't want to make polenta. I didn't want to make cornbread. I didn't want cornmeal crusted chicken livers (ew!). Finally I found something perfect for breakfast this morning - Lemon Cornmeal Waffles.


The best purchase I made last year was a new waffle iron. For years I thought I just couldn't make waffles, now I know I just had a crappy waffle iron. The crunch the cornmeal added to these waffles was really nice, as was the lemon. The original recipe had a blueberry sauce to accompany the waffles, but we skipped that and topped the waffles with raspberries and maple syrup. The recipe made a ton, so I've frozen some for quick breakfasts during the week. Hopefully they'll toast up well.

Ani, you almost got me on this one!

Lemon Cornmeal Waffles
adapted from Vegan with a Vengeance by Isa Chandra Moskowitz

yes I feel bad - I have un-veganized this recipe! Blame Safeway, they didn't have any soy yogurt.

1 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
3/4 cup cornmeal
1/4 cup oil
2 cups milk
1/4 cup yogurt
Juice and zest of one lemon (wash it first!)
1/4 cup sugar

Mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cornmeal. In another bowl whisk the oil, milk, yogurt, lemon zest and juice, and sugar. Pour the milk mixture into the dry mixture and stir to blend. Heat your waffle iron, spray lightly with non-stick spray, and pour the batter in (my iron takes about 1/4 cup per waffle). Close the lid and cook until done.


You have until June 11 to get your WCC posts to Ani. So what are you waiting for? Email a link to her at foodiechickie at yahoo dot com.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice looking waffles, I borrowed that cookbook from a friend and really liked it.
Mags

Anonymous said...

Hi Sarah, just found you blog and I am really enjoying it!

Anonymous said...

I'm even later than you, thanks to yesterday being a wash as far as food was concerned. I worked all day at the kitchen store, instead.

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

You got it right with this one Sara. Cornmeal in waffles is just the best.

Anh said...

I have never heard of or tried cornmeal waffle. This sounds great! What I need now is a waffle iron!

Deborah said...

These waffles look perfect!!

Sara said...

Mags - Hi, and thanks! I haven't cooked as much out of that book as I should have. Hopefully soon.

Eva3 - thanks for visiting!

Paige - did you just run out of time, or did you get stuck like me?

Hi Tanna, you are so right.

Anh - you should get one, they are so handy.

Deborah - thank you!

Shaun said...

Sara - Good on you for giving it another go and not resting on just one cornmeal recipe. I didn't make it to WCC this time because I was too scared to see how much it costs to buy here (I don't know if New Zealanders really use it, certainly not regularly). And I, too, couldn't find a recipe that grabbed me, even if I did want to make it...

Sara said...

Shaun - the first recipe was so boring, I just couldn't imagine posting about it. This month was tough, I thought. Sorry to hear we won't see you at the round up. I hope that next month's theme works better for you.

breadchick said...

Sara, I am so glad you have gotten in touch with your waffle-self. I love making them for breakfast lunch and dinner (sometimes all three meals in the same day!). These sound so wonderful, I'm printing this out to make them this weekend to then top with my first fresh picked strawberries! Thanks for saving me from boring ole shortcake!!!

Lis said...

OMG those look and sound SO GOOD! They will be tried at our breakfast table very soon.. maybe I'll make them for Helene when she comes! :D

xoxo

Emmy said...

You know what? I still haven't tried the lemon cornmeal waffles from VwaV. I've got to try them soon. They sound great :)