Monday, May 15, 2006

Mothers Day Week - Potato Pancakes

Anyone who knows me knows I am a real potato fiend. When I was little, I'd eat them at every meal if I could.
My mom taught me how to use the blender to make these. She'd serve them with sausage or ham, and sometimes on their own for a special breakfast.
Serve with applesauce, sour cream or butter.

Potato Pancakes

2 eggs
1/2 small onion
1 tsp salt
2 tb flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
3 cups cubed raw potato

Put 1/2 cup of potato, plus all other ingredients in a blender. Cover and process on "Grate" until all the potatos have gone through the blades. Add the rest of the potatos and blend, but leave a little chunky.
Heat pan over medium high heat. Add a splash of oil, and spoon 2-3 tb of batter per pancake. Serve right away.


Pamela said...

Those are really traditional in Scotland where we know them as Potato Scones and in Ireland where they are known as Potato Farls.

I love them for breakfast!

Liz said...


That's too funny. Potato pancakes are exactly what we had on Saturday mornings when I was a kid. Everyone loaded them with sour cream and applesauce and I ate mine plain with a bit of salt. Yummy!


Sara said...

They are my favorite for breakfast too, although I don't have them often anymore.