Thursday, November 03, 2022

Instant Pot HK Beef Curry

 I was rooting through the freezer and I found some stew meat.  I made a mental note (HA!) to keep that in mind to use up soon.  A couple of days later I realized that the little butternut squash and sweet potato I had bought on a whim a few weeks ago were still sitting on the counter.  I needed to use those up!  But how?  Ooooh, maybe a curry!  With coconut milk.  Over rice!

I decided last weekend to make a veg curry for dinner and then remember the beef.  Might as well use that too.  I started googling and soon came up with a potential winner curry to make in the instant pot so that the beef would be tender without me having to cook it on the stove all day.

By 4:30 I was pretty darn tired after tacking some extra cleaning jobs in addition to our usual weekend clean and my knees were so sore from getting up and down off chairs, being on the floor to clean out cupboards.  It was a bit depressing.  I started loosely following the curry recipe with The Mister backseat cooking over my shoulder.  The kids were apparently starving like the hadn't just eaten a snack 20 minutes earlier, so when the rice was done, it was chaos in the kitchen.  I was so focused on trying to get them sorted out and stop the complaining from both of them that I completely forgot the last few steps of the recipe - adding the coconut milk (NOOOOOOOOOOOOO), a bit of sugar, thickening the sauce...... 

 

In the end, it was delicious, and we all enjoyed it - The Boy even had seconds!  But I will make this again and add more curry - The Mister made me stop at 1 1/2 TB - and the rest of the ingredients.  What an idea!   I also realize as I write this that I didn't add the squash or sweet potato, which started this whole dang thing.  Jeez.

Recipe - Instant Pot HK Beef Curry