Saturday, April 10, 2021

cookbook cleanup book 22 - Family Meals by Michael Smith

 The 22nd book I'm cooking from off my shelves is Family Meals by Canadian Chef Michael Smith.  I received this book as a Christmas gift when it came out.  I remember cooking from it a few times while I was on maternity leave - the chocolate coconut pudding is one of the best desserts I've ever made.


This time around we cooked 7 recipes from the book.

Nutmeg waffles - made a ton, they were fine.

 Beefy Broth - a funny name for a short rib recipe, but it was so delicious.

Bacon salad.  With crispy onions!!!!!

Fallen chocolate cake stuffed with whipped cream (above - very easy and delicious)

and

Caramel Chip Blondies (below - made with chocolate chips instead  - amazing!)

We also tried the Pickle Salad with Pickle Dressing which was so delicious and I will make again when (if) the weather warms up, and my very favorite recipe  - Rice and Dal.  SO good, SO easy, just such a winner.

I really enjoy this book, it has mouth watering photos of all the dishes, and a very casual writing style and feel.  There is a lot of variety and covers easy basics to more fancy meals.

This is a solid keeper and is staying on our shelf.

Current standings

Cookbook Cleanup results so far - Back on the bookshelf - 13  Donated -9