Thursday, November 07, 2019

How to cook dried beans in the instant pot


Last Sunday I was going to make a soup for Sunday Dinner.  It had mild Italian sausage in it, but "some" people in my family find that can be too spicy sometimes, so I was second guessing myself.  Should I figure out a different meal to make?  Or add some side dishes so if the soup doesn't appeal, there are other things to eat?  Or!  Should I make a second soup????

The Mister was all down with that idea of course, and suggested ham and bean, since we have bags and bags of ham in the freezer from Thanksgiving.  The problem was that we didn't have any canned beans, only dried, and I was trying to make this dinner happen without having to go back to the store.

I had the instant pot out as I'd make some hard boiled eggs that morning, and I couldn't help but wonder, could you cook dried beans in the instant pot?

You can, and I did, using this recipe!

Toss your beans into the pot,


Add some water, salt, olive oil, and optional garlic and bay leaf.


Close it up and cook for 25-30 minutes.  Let the pressure release naturally for as long as you can, 
et voila!  You have perfectly cooked beans!