Monday, May 27, 2019

Intentions - get out of this bad weight gain rut

I've put on a lot of weight in the last year and a half and I'm not happy about it.

I'm not happy about it and yet - and yet - I can't quite seem to do anything about it.

My brain has never been wired well to figure out diets - my anxiety slams into overdrive, I can't figure out what to cook for me to lose weight and the family to eat regularly, I get overwhelmed and freeze up.  I want to make changes to the family menu but I don't want to deprive the people who don't have a weight problem, so I eat the same as them and get nowhere.  It sounds silly but I don't know what to do.  I feel stuck.

The biggest culprits for me I think are my age - my metabolism is changing (I'm mid 40's!), snacking due to stress, and sugar.

Sugar is the biggest.

Sugar is BAD.

I am definitely in a one step forward, 2 steps back situation right now.

I want to give up!  But I won't.  So here we go.

I am writing about this here to be accountable.  I've got my current weight written down, and I'm going to list my intentions for the week.  I will be back next Monday and we'll see how I did with these intentions:

1.  No more ice tea.  This is probably my worst habit.  When I gave up drinking I replaced it with ice tea, which sounds pretty good, but I drink a lot of it at home.  A LOT.  This weekend I didn't buy any ice tea when we did the shopping and told The Mister not to pick me up any.  I believe I am drinking the last of it right now - yes, drinking ice tea in the morning is part of my problem.  I am going to focus more on water, and I've also bought a few types of flavored sparking water 0 sugar drinks to try so I don't break down tonight and race to the store for tea.

2.  No more ice caps from Tim Hortons - This is my second worst habit!  I have been using these as a motivation treat the past few months on my way to work.  This is bad for my body and my bank account.

3.  Portion size - I like to think I am pretty reasonable with portion sizes, and sometimes I am, but not enough.

4.  Move this bod every day.  Yoga, walks, some stretching, whatever I can fit in.

OK, those are my 4 things for the week, I don't want to overwhelm myself at the start.

I've got my breakfast and lunch for the day - I bought a protein smoothie powder at the health food store yesterday so I'm going to have that for breakfast, and I've got some plain greek yogurt and berries for a snack, some leftover pasta for lunch (not the best choice but it has to be eaten and it's a small portion) with some veg, and an apple for a snack.

I do have to run to a store downtown today for an errand, so another challenge will be not picking up a "treat" snack for myself.  Can I leave the store with only the one thing I am going there for?

I'm doing this thing.  Send me some good thoughts.