Saturday, November 21, 2015

How to : roast and freeze garlic

I remember the first time I tried roasted garlic. 
 I'd read about it in a magazine and for some reason I already owned a little terra cotta garlic roaster, so I picked up a head of garlic and a baguette and tried it out. 
 My boyfriend at the time was a basic meat and potatos guy,and declared many many times he was not interested in trying it. 
No sir, not the kind of thing he would eat! 
Well, once the garlic came out of the oven and was plated with the sliced bread, he materialized over my shoulder and announced that fine! He'd try it! Get off his back! 
 And proceeded to eat the entire thing. 
 Men. 

 Roasted garlic is amazing - on bread, in pasta or sauces - but it takes time to make, so I always have some frozen in my freezer.

 First, roast the garlic. 
 Heat your oven to 400'. Cut just the bare top off the whole heads of garlic to expose the tops of the cloves. 


Place in a baking dish and drizzle well with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper 
and cover the top of the dish with foil.


Roast in the oven for an hour, until tender and golden.


They are ready to use as you like, or cool them completely, and wrap them individually in plastic wrap and then in a freezer bag, and store in the freezer until you need them.

They thaw in the microwave in a matter of seconds, or leave them in the fridge overnight.
So good.