Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Winging it - Lasagne Rolls

I was trying to use up a bunch of leftovers we had after a family visit, but I just 
had little bits of this and that - some shredded roasted chicken, 
about a cup of pasta sauce, a few slices of Gruyere cheese - not 
really enough of everything to make much of a meal for us. I didn't want to have 
to crack open another jar of pasta sauce to make a full meal.
I was trying to get rid of all the leftovers, not add new ones quite yet.
 What about trying something new - lasagne rolls? 
 Could I stretch the ingredients out far enough? 





Yes.  Yes I could.

I chopped up the chicken and cheese and added some mozzarella and a baggie of frozen spinach.
The great thing about the frozen spinach in the baggies for a meal like this is, when you take the baggie out of the freezer, quickly - before the spinach starts to thaw - crush the baggie in your hands.
This will crumble the spinach into little shards so you won't have to chop it.

Then I boiled 6 lasagne noodles and ran them under cold water to cool them down.

 Next!  The pasta sauce wasn't going to go far enough so I thinned it with a few spoons of water 
and then spooned a thin layer in the bottom of a shallow baking dish.

I divided the chicken mixture between the noodles and spread it out to cover the whole noodle, then rolled them up and placed them seam side down in the baking dish.

The rest of the sauce was drizzled over the top, and then topped with a bit more shredded mozza.

I baked them at 350' for about 25 minutes, until the rolls were 
heated through and the cheese was melted.

We all really liked these - especially The Boy, shockingly enough.  He even requested 
the leftover roll be saved for his dinner the next night!  

Lasagne rolls were way easier than I expected them to be.  
The Mister is a big pasta fan, so we'll have to try some other variations soon.