Saturday, February 08, 2014

Tomato Soup Spice Bread






A long, long time ago my mom asked me to look on the internet for some recipes for my grandmother.  She was looking for a recipe for a spice cake made with tomato soup - something she had enjoyed years ago.  It sounded horrible to me, but I obliged with a few different recipes for her to look at.  I don't recall if I ever asked her if she tried any of them, if any of them were close to what she was hoping for.

A year or so later I was shopping at the old farmers market at the barracks in Calgary, and there was a stall that sold various ready to heat and eat products, and one of the things they sold was - tomato soup spice bread!  I had to buy a loaf, so I did.  We ate it.  It was good.

Fast forward to a week ago when I came across a recipe for it that I'd saved in one of my notebooks.  It made me smile to see it.

Tomato Soup Spice Bread
adapted from Pop It Stir It Fix It Serve It

1 3/4 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinammon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground cloved
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1 egg
 1/3 cup oil
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup sugar
1 10 oz can tomato soup
1 cup raisins

Preheat oven to 350'.

Spray a loaf pan with non stick spray.  Set aside.

Whisk together the flour, soda, salt, powder, and spices.
In a separate bowl whisk together the egg, oil, vanilla, sugar, and soup.
Pour the soup mixture into the dry ingredients, along with the raisins.  Mix until combined.
Pour into the prepared pan.
Bake, 40-50 minutes.  If the top is browning too quickly, cover with foil.  
Let rest in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove to a rack and let cool.