Friday, December 31, 2010

2010-2011

One of my favorite things to do on New Years Day is get my new calendar ready to put up in the kitchen - to move all the important dates to the calendar, but also look back at what happened in the past year.

The last quarter of 2010 has been really bad for my family.  I am glad to see this year go and am struggling to hold on to hope that 2011 will be better.

I'm not doing that end of year "meme" (ugh) anymore, instead I thought I'd tell you about my resolutions and some other stuff.

Last year my resolutions were pretty much the same as the few years before; lose weight, not worry so much, be more organized.  Shockingly I did not succeed on any of them.

This year my resolutions/hopes are:

Be kind.  To myself. 
Everyone is their own worst critic, but I am incredibly, horribly hard on myself.  I have had a tough few months and my inner critic has made them even harder.  So I resolve to stop it.  And be nice. 
It will be interesting to see if I can do it.

Be more organized.
I completely fail at this every year and it is a source of stress for me.  I am going to try very very hard to fix this.  Supposedly I am a grown up, so I should act like one.

Watch better tv.
I don't watch much tv anymore, what with chasing a 13 month old boy around 24 hours a day, but many nights after the baby is asleep and the house is "clean" and I've done my exercise, I flop in front of the tv and watch whatever is on.  It's an alright way to pass a hour or so, but I'd rather feel enlightened or productive in that time.  I've recently started watching documentaries while I am on our elliptical machine and I am enjoying it.  I saw the first season of  Everest: Beyond the Limit on Netflix and was completely spellbound. These people who risk their lives and the lives of others to climb a mountain! I must admit it's led to a bit of an Everest obsession with me. (PS If anyone knows how I can see/buy seasons 2 and 3 (I think that's it?) of this PLEASE let me know. I can't find them anywhere.)

Read more.
It's hard to read when you have a small kid that you can't take your eyes off of because if you do he'll go stick his hands in the toilet or try to climb up the bookshelf or just fall over and bonk his head. It's been a long time since I've read a book and most of the time I don't even read the paper. I am trying to change that, and surprise surprise, I'm currently reading Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer, which is about Everest.

Get in better shape (lose weight).
I am slooooooooowly working on this and that's all I'll say, because talking about it makes me feel more awkward and uncomfortable that I already am. But I am trying.

Learn stuff. Everyday.
This is a general, all purpose one. I want to watch shows that teach me and read books and websites that interest me. I want to find beauty and joy in life. I am excited to be taking a night class for the next couple of months and I hope that I can further my education after that, even if it's one course at a time.

Huh. That might be it. Well, let's call that it as this has taken me far longer than I thought it would and it's time to turn off the computer and get ready to push 2010 out the door and welcome 2011 with open arms.

I wish you and yours all the best tonight. Be safe.