Thursday, February 18, 2010

Bread Baking Babes - Ensaïmadas


Yippee! I am happy to say that this month I got my act together and baked the January BBB bread. This months Kitchen Babe is KAREN (not Lynn, sorry Karen!!!) at Bake My Day, and we traveled to Spain to bake Ensaimadas, an inconspicious looking pastry-like bun which will reveal it's little secret once cut (or bitten into)(In the words of Karen).

These delicious little buns take relatively little time to make. The dough is made with milk and eggs, making it a little bit rich.


Once the dough has risen, circles are thinly rolled and spread with pork fat. I didn't have any on hand, so I used butter.


Roll the circles into cylinders


And coil into a little bun. At this point the buns may rise for 1 hour and up to over night. Mine rose just over 1 hour.

Once baked, sprinkle the buns with powdered sugar.


These were very lovely. I really enjoyed them split and toasted, then spread with some homemade strawberry jam I found in the freezer.


Scott spread one with smoked salmon flavored cream cheese instead of butter, and declared it delicious. I wouldn't know, I hate salmon.

Visit Karen's site for the recipe, and please visit all the Babes (listed over to the right) to see their Ensaimadas. If you'd like to join us as a Bread Baking Buddy, you've got until Feb 25 to get your links to Karen.

Ole!

18 comments:

natalia said...

They really are wonderful !!! Ciao !

Ilva said...

psst-not Lynn (that was last month) but Karen!

Lovely pics, they look fantastic Sara and it feel so good to have you back on the baking track again!

Karen Baking Soda said...

That picture is just as light and airy as the rolls are, lovely/lovingly made Sara!

NKP said...

They allow salmon-haters to live in BC? ;-)
Delicious looking rolls, so delicate and sensual looking.

Sara said...

Whoops sorry Karen! I have fixed the post.
Natashya - I snuck it under the radar. Scott will happily eat my share of salmon so I think I'm safe. :)

Karen Baking Soda said...

Hehe.. I saw that and didn't want to wake you up ;). Thanks for the fix sweetie!

Cookie baker Lynn said...

Your rolls turned out so beautifully! I think the key is how thin you were able to rolls them. They look perfect!

Elle said...

Lovely rolls...you can really see how rolling them created a great texture1

Monique said...

Mmm , with that morning sun shining over your beautiful rolls, it seems to me the ultimate breakfast

Gretchen Noelle said...

You made these look just gorgeous! I can see that I should have been more generous with the shortening before rolling them up. Wonderful job!

Basic Meatloaf Recipes said...

hi Sara

your site is really nice! great! delicious! and wonderful! so I've added your site into my recipes blog site.

please add my site as Basic Meatloaf Recipes into your nice site.

bye
have a nice day!

Lien said...

those rolls in the morning sun.... tempting, tempting! I love how the ends opened up a little during baking.

Katie Zeller said...

They look wonderful - love all that butter... I should have used butter....

hobby baker Kelly said...

Toasted, what a great idea! Thanks! Now I can stick the rest in the freezer and take them out for breakfast and toast them up. I love how light and fluffy they turned out.

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Your snails have such beautiful personalities Sara. They are a nice manageable treat especially with a baby in the house ;-)

Anonymous said...

Those snails look delicious!

Denise said...

These look wonderful and easy too! Thanks for the follow on twitter...it's what led me to an amazing new blog to follow!! ;)

You've got some great stuff here. Congratulations on your little one. They sure are a blessing!! I've got 3 girls (11,7 and my toddler just turned 2)...yes it goes by FAST!!

Sara said...

thank you Denise! Glad to find your blog too.