Sunday, October 04, 2009

Emeril's English Muffins

And just like that, Fall has shown up. Were you expecting it quite so soon? Not me. One day it's 30' and gorgeous, the next it's 20 degrees cooler and pitch dark by 6. However, this is probably the first time in my life I've been so happy to see October, as it brings us closer to our big day.

It was cool and sadly still dark when I got up this morning and it seemed like the perfect time to do some baking.

Last Fall at a book sale I picked up a copy of Emeril Lagasse's From Emeril's Kitchen. It was $2 and looked brand new, who could say no? Flipping thru it a couple of weeks ago I was sort of surprised at how many recipe there are that I'd like to try. I don't know why I was surprised. Anyway the first one I knew I had to try was for his English Muffins, which are served with onion soup at one of his restaurants. The cool morning today just screamed homemade muffins, and the recipe is super easy.

Homemade English Muffins
From Emeril's Kitchen
Emeril Legasse

1 tsp vegetable oil
1 1/4 cups water at room temperature
2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
1/2 tsp sugar
3 1/2 cups bread flour
2 tsp salt
3 tb dry milk powder
2 tsp solid vegetable shortening
1/4 cup cornmeal

Lightly grease a large bowl with the oil, and set aside.

Combine the water, yeast and sugar in a large bowl, stir well and let sit until foamy, about 5 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients except the cornmeal and mix with a large wooden spoon until well blended, about 5 minutes. (I used my mixer and also held back on adding all the flour, as Mary has taught me) Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 15 minutes, until smooth, adding more flour 1 tsp at a time if the dough is too sticky. (I did not
kneadneed to use all 3 1/2 cups of the flour.) Place in the prepared bowl, cover with plastic wrap and set aside in a warm, draft free place until doubled in size, 1 1/2 to 2 hours.

Dust a baking sheet with the cornmeal.


Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and divide into 8 equal portions. Roll into smooth balls and place evenly spaced on the prepared baking sheet. Cover with a slightly damp towel and let rise until doubled in size, about 30 minutes.


Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the dough balls, non cornmeal coated side first (down), in batches, and cook until golden brown, about 5 minutes.


Turn the muffins over, press down on them with a large spatula to flatten slightly, and cook until golden brown, about 5 minutes longer.

We really enjoyed these - they were easy to make and taste very very good. I had to turn my heat down to low as my first batch got a little too dark. I also flattened them when I first put them into the pan as well as when I flipped them.


I could definitely see making these on a regular basis. Next time (maybe a few weeks?) I'd like to try do a white/whole wheat flour mixture.

Here's Scott's breakfast this morning - poached eggs on homemade English Muffins. After the photo he added hot sauce and cheese. I had to charge him more for that.

7 comments:

Deb in Hawaii said...

Yum! I have never tried to make English Muffins before. these look great. i can't wait to see the wheat/white version.

Karen Baking Soda said...

Yes yes english muffins (don't those doughballs look goooood!). Honestly, can I come over and you teach me how to make those perfect poached eggs?

The Cookbook Junkie said...

I passed up ring molds for English muffins at a yard sale this weekened. I'm glad to see they aren't actually needed if I ever decided to make English muffins from scratch.

These look great. I wonder if I could duplicate the honey wheat English muffins I love.

Sara said...

Karen - he has no secret to those eggs - he uses a microwave poacher!

Paula - this is one of the few recipes for English muffins I've found that don't call for molds. It was one of the main reasons I wanted to try it. Let me know if you tinker with the recipe, honey wheat sounds really good!

Sara said...

Deb - I will probably try them again in a couple of weeks.

NKP said...

$2! What a score!
The English muffins look great. I have to remember to cook more Emeril.

michelle said...

Wow. Those english muffins look fabulous!!! :)