Sunday, August 16, 2009

Julie & Julia, and very good food.


We went and saw Julie & Julia today.

I had no interest in seeing the movie when I first heard about it. I read the book a few years ago and didn't care for it. I wanted to be a fan of the book. I thought the premise was great. But ultimately I just found her so unlikeable that I didn't enjoy the book.

But then I heard that the story would also be about Julia Child and that Meryl Streep was playing her and I became much more interested. I figured that the movie would "Hollywood-ize" the Julie character to a more likable person, and then the reviews were good, so we figured why not.

I loved the movie, especially the storyline of Julia and Paul Child. What a wonderful life they had. Meryl Streep and Stanley Tucci were amazing. The movie is funny and inspiring and touching and I lost count of how many times I cried.

After the movie ended we went to my parents house (they saw the movie with us) and my Mom had a Julia feast planned out for dinner -


Potage Parmentier to start (which I believe is the first recipe Julia Child tested for the cookbook, and the first recipe Julie cooked from the book), followed by



Rapee Morvandelle, which Scott and I have previously cooked, and then we managed to find the strength to eat a few mouthfuls of Cherry Clafouti.


Scott took one for the team and ended up with blue fingers after pitting the required 3 cups of cherries.


Eating like this once in a while - heavenly. Eating like this for 365 days - madness, darling.

9 comments:

Mags said...

I saw that last week and LOVED IT. Didn't cry tho....lol.
Your Mom's dinner looks fab, expescially the dessert.

Sara said...

Wow, fancy dinner! Julia's potato soup is my go-to soup for all occasions, I love it.

natalia said...

I'll go to see it then ! But who is going to cook such a lovely dinner for me ??

Lisa Stome said...

I like both actresses, Amy Adams is very likable and Meryl Streep is so talented. I am looking forward to seeing the movie.

NKP said...

Lovely!
I am waiting for the movie to come to video.. I am boring like that. But I am having fun with her recipes this month.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I took a group of non-foodie friends with me to see the movie and everyine lvoed it. It was funny and heartwarming at the same time.The theatre was packed!!!!I especially would love to try the Rapee Morvandelle.....potatoes!!!!

Sara said...

Val - I LOVE the rapee. So delicious and fairly quick.

And I can't wait until the movie comes out on dvd, I'll be buying it.

breadchick said...

See what I missed?!! This fantastic movie inspired meal.

Lien said...

What a great way to end the night after this movie.
(we have to wait until october here for the film to release)