Saturday, May 09, 2009

mmmmmmm......Migas!

Migas. Do you know it? I didn't, until a couple of days ago and all I can say is - where have you been my whole life?

Migas is a Tex-Mex egg dish made with torn up corn tortillas. A kicked up scrambled egg. Scott borrowed Rachel Ray's Big Orange Book for me from the library last weekend. I know, say what you will about her but we have cooked some mighty fine recipes out of her books and magazines. Beergaritas, pulled pork, asparagus popover....all healthy and nutritious fare. Anyhoo, the other morning I was looking for something to make for dinner because I completely forgot to make a menu plan for the week and the book practically fell open to page 106......Mighty Migas.

Does anyone know how to say Migas correctly? I've been saying MEE-gas. Is that right?

The recipe is pretty easy and there weren't too many ingredients I needed to buy. I picked up everything at the store except they didn't have corn tortillas. The past few years I have really come to hate grocery shopping - I can never seem to find everything I need at one store and who has time to run from store to store all the time? I can't even stick to my pledge to buy my fruits and veggies from the local market store (until the farmers market really takes off) instead of the grocery store.

ANYWAY, I couldn't find corn tortillas so I'd just planned to make the dish without them. And then if we loved it and wanted to have it again I'd hunt down the corn tortillas. But then I remembered that down in the basement hidden away from us (me) were the leftover Halloween bags of Doritos. That's practically a corn tortilla right?



So I used that instead and wow, Migas are really good. I crumbled the chips fairly finely and didn't use a lot, so they really didn't play much of a part. But I could feel their texture in a few bites and will definitely make these again when I can get my hands on some corn tortillas.



Migas
adapted from The Big Orange Book

2 tb olive oil
1 (100-125 gram-ish) chorizo sausage, casing removed and diced
1 small onion diced
1/2 fresh jalapeno, seeds removed and finely diced (or more to your own taste)
3 garlic cloves minced
6 eggs, beaten
1 Halloween bag of Doritos (these have maybe 6 or 7 chips in them?)
1 tomato diced
1/2 cup shredded cheese (mozza or jack would be good, I only had gouda. It was tasty.)
1/2 avocado, diced, for garnish
sour cream for garnish

Heat the oil in a large pan over medium high heat. Add the chorizo and cook until the sausage starts to crisp. Add the diced onion, jalapeno and garlic and cook, stirring, until the onion is soft. Add the eggs to the pan, lower heat if necessary, and stir. Crumble in the doritos and add the diced tomatos. Stir until the eggs are almost set, then add the cheese. Cook until the eggs are scrambled to your liking. Spoon onto plates, top with a dollop of sour cream and some diced avocado, and serve.

14 comments:

Kalyn Denny said...

I had Migas for the first time in Austin and they pronounced it Mee-Gahs. Very tasty! Don't think you can make this South Beach Diet friendly though, so it was just a splurge for me.

görel said...

I have never eaten or even heard of this, but know I'm gonna like it! I hate though that jalapeños can't be found in Sweden other than small, individually packed and very expensive.

Sara said...

Gorel, use hot sauce instead of jalapeno if they are too expensive. If you want to make this with corn tortillas, cut 2 into small pieces and saute them with the vegetables.

görel said...

Thanks for the tips, Sara!

NKP said...

I have never had migas either, but I love that you made it with doritos!

Amanda at Little Foodies said...

I haven't had it but I will be now. Love Tex-Mex food. Normally fairly easy to put together and always really good to eat!

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

I like Kalyn's Mee-Gahs spelling to pronounce I was going to suggest Mee-Gus. Migas are one of my all time favorites, always happy to find them on a Tex-Mex menu!
I really think you'd enjoy the corn tortillas better than the doritos (and I love doritos).
Have to write Kalyn as to what is not south beach friendly on these. I'm guessing it's the corn in the tortilla.

Lesli said...

I am from Texas and we call them mee-has (the 'g' usually sounds like an 'h' in spanish). They are a favorite tex-mex breakfast dish in my family. They look great!

Kristin said...

never have heard of them either, but since I have eggs coming out of my eyeballs here, that might be my new fav recipe!! sounds great, can't wait to try it.

The Cookbook Junkie said...

I've been seeing Migas everywhere. It looks so good, I'm sure I'll get around to making it soon.

I also have a recipe from The Big Orange Book coming up this week.

nath said...

yumm..yummm... it's a new recipe for me :)
I added u on my foodie blogroll, wish u do the same.. thanx a lot :)

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I have the Big Orange Book so will have to look this up. Thanks for the reminder:D

Penny said...

This sounds like a great dish, but I don't have any Halloween doritos. LOL. Would be good for a Mexican brunch with margaritas.

Annie said...

Never had it but it sure looks good to me!