Sunday, February 10, 2008

Campbells Gardennay Soup

It's always fun to be offered products to try, but it's really, really great when you like the product so much that it becomes something that you purchase on a regular basis.

In December I received samples of two of Campbell's new soups from their Gardennay line; the Santa Fe Sweet Corn with Chipotle, and the Field Potato with Spring Leek.

First, let's talk about Campbell's Gardennay line in general - there are currently 11 varieties of Gardennay soups. They are all ready to serve (meaning you don't add water), and all 11 soups are vegetarian, which I love. Pretty much all the soups I eat lately are vegetarian, and it's super to have more options in vegetarian store bought soup than just minestrone or vegetable. The soups have no artificial colors or flavors, and 10 of the soups are low fat. (But I can tell you, they sure don't taste low fat!)



When I opened the package and saw the corn soup, I had to try that one first. I like to think I made a pretty good corn soup. Well, I do, but it really is nowhere as good as this Santa Fe Sweet Corn with Chipotle.

This is everything a corn soup should be. It's thick and rich, with tons and tons of whole corn kernels, and the kick of chipotle? Wow! It doesn't blow your head off, but it is definitely there, and most welcome. Another thing to love about the corn soup is the nutritional information. The container (and all the containers in the Gardennay line) contains 2 - 250 ml (about a cup) servings. Each serving has a full serving of vegetables, 160 calories, and 3 grams of fat. Not too shabby at all. It also carries the Heart and Stroke Foundation's Health Check Symbol, which means it's a healthy food choice based on Canada's Food Guide. Looks like I have a new favorite corn soup.

Next up was the Field Potato with Spring Leek. This one also has a full serving of vegetables and the Health Check Symbol, and does even better in the calorie and fat department - 110 calories and 1.5 grams of fat per serving. Unfortunately Blogger ate my picture - sorry! But it was a good looking and good tasting soup. The potato soup is another thick chowder soup. The smell of it was heavenly, like potatos and cream. The taste - very nice, although I have to admit the corn soup was still fresh in my mind and beat this one as the best tasting soup.

The Santa Fe soup has become a regular on my grocery list. I keep meaning to branch out and try more of the line, but the corn and chipotle....it calls to me!

My verdict? These are two really, really great soups that you should try.
They are good and good for you - what more do you need?

7 comments:

Vicki said...

I wish I lived in Canada so I could get this soup!

Peabody said...

I don't think this is a US option...too bad, looks good.

Anonymous said...

Before you get too excited about the Health Check, you may want to read this post.

BTW, that soup with the check that you love so much has over 1/3 of your day's total recommended sodium intake.

Deborah said...

I was just going to say that I don't think you can get this in the US, but others have already beat me to it! They do sound delicious, though - hopefully they will bring them here sometime soon!

Sara said...

Oh anonymous, why so anonymous? Since I watch my sodium intake anyway, and 27% is closer to 1/4 than 1/3rd in my opinion, I think that this soup is an occasional ok choice for me. To each their own, and have a nice day.

Anonymous said...

I've never seen these in California either. I'm hoping that they will bring them here, because I love a good prepared soup. Yum!

Lis said...

hmmm.. we have something similar.. I think it's made by Campbells.. Yes.. Campbell's Select Gold Label.. they've got a southwestern corn that I heard is good. I'll bet it's the same thing. No potato soup, but they've got butternut squash which might be nice.

I will let you know! :)

xoxoxoxo