Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Good Pasta for Presto Pasta

My first picture didn't turn out, so I wrestled Scott's plate away from him in hopes of taking another picture of this dinner. I was too late:
But you can tell that he really liked it, can't you. I'm taking part in my first Presto Pasta Night hosted by Ruth at Once Upon a Feast. We love pasta so this will be a fun event not only to contribute to but hopefully to get some new recipes. There can never be enough pasta!

This is slightly adapted from The Dean and Deluca Cookbook.

Tomato and Ginger Pasta
serves 2-4, depending how hungry everyone is.

425 grams dry pasta
2 cups of peeled and diced tomatos
1 small onion finely chopped
1 tb minced ginger
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 tb butter
sugar
salt
pepper

Cook the pasta in lots of boiling salted water. Meanwhile, melt the butter over medium high heat in a large skillet. Add the onions and cook for 3 or 4 minutes until they are starting to soften. Add the garlic and ginger and cook for 5 minutes more, but watch your heat - you don't want them to brown. Add the tomatos, and big pinch of sugar and salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for 10 minutes or so, or until the pasta is cooked. Pour the sauce into a food processor or blender and blend until smooth. Toss with the pasta and serve with Parmesan cheese on the side.

9 comments:

Lis said...

Now there's a sauce flavor combination I'd never imagine putting together. hehe How did it taste exactly? Could you really taste the ginger?

It does look damn good (even those few strands lol!) and I'm interested in knowing more =)

I'm so tickled Ruth decided to create this event - you can never have too many recipes for good pasta dishes!

xoxo

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Now, that sounds like what pasta is all about. Easy, fast and scarf it up great to eat!!

The Cookbook Junkie said...

I bet this was great. I recently made chicken covered with picante sauce mixed with ground ginger and it was wonderful. This recipe has the same basic flavors. It's a surprisingly good combination.

Freya said...

A picture says a thousand words! It sounds delicious!

Ruth Daniels said...

Sara, what an interesting combination. I love ginger and now I have a new way to use it!

Thanks for joining the Presto Pasta Night fun.

kickpleat said...

wow, i've never tried ginger in a tomato sauce before! it's definitely going on my list.

Sara said...

lis - it's very good and you can taste the ginger. ginger and tomatos are good together, who knew?

tanna - you're right about that!

cj - it is a very good combination. i'm looking forward to trying different dishes.

f&p - thanks!

ruth - thanks for coming up with ppn!

kickpleat - thanks.

Emmy said...

Ha ha! That picture is great. Rob always gives me the evil eye if I take too long to photograph the food before serving. The recipe sounds quick and easy (and easy to veganize too). I'm adding it to my list :)

Sara said...

Emmy - Scott used to do that too, but now HE spends more time fussing with the camera.

Sher - you're right! I'm lucky there was even a couple of noodles left.