Saturday, March 24, 2007

My Favorites in Hawaii

One more Hawaii post, because in my post on some of our meals in Hawaii I forgot to mention 2 of our very very favorites.

But first!

One of my favorite things about going to the States is the food that they have that we can't buy in Canada. This trip among other things we enjoyed:


Cheese in a can!


Maui Potato Chips. Oh these things are good. I ate them every day for the first week we were there. Then my skirt started to get tight so I had to stop.


Hello Kitty Pineapple Marshmallows. To, you know, to wash down all those potato chips.



Here's a crooked picture of Da Kitchen, which I told you about before.
Da Kitchen, Rainbow Mall, 2439 South Kihei Road, Kihei, Hawaii.
808-875-7782.


One of our top 2 favorites in Kihei was Hawaiian Moons Natural Foods, which we read about in our Hawaii book before we left. It's a health food/grocery store with very nice produce, much of it organic and/or grown in Hawaii, and an excellent salad bar. The store runs 2 salads bars daily - a hot bar featuring soups, chilies and entrees, and a cold salad bar full of everything from green salads you can top with cheese nuts and pineapple to pasta salads, tofu salads and much more. They also sell excellent desserts by the slice (like pineapple cheesecake!). We went there almost every day.
Hawaiian Moons Natural Foods, 2411 South Kihei Road, Kihei, Hawaii.
808-875-4356.


Right next to Hawaiian Moons is my #1 favorite place in Kihei - Maui Tacos. We read about it on Trip Advisor when we were looking up information on where we were staying. One of the reviews of the condo raved about Maui Taco so much we decided we'd check it out on our trip.


We loved everything about it, especially the salsa bar. My favorites were the pineapple salsa and the avocado-tomatillo salsa.


This is a mango chicken taco salad my Mom had. We ate there quite a bit, and the last 4 days we ate lunch there every day. They sell their own Maui Taco cookbook which I didn't buy and am now regretting it. Oh well, guess I'll have to go back!
Maui Tacos, 2411 South Kihei Road, Kihei, Hawaii.
808-879-5005.

5 comments:

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

You didn't get the cookbook!! How about Amazon? I love the photo of the salad and wish I could go to the natural food store.

Peabody said...

Pineapple marshmallows...mmm, those sound good.

Emmy said...

That salsa bar sounds amazing!!!

Lis said...

I was hungry when I started to read this post.. now my tummy's growlin' something fierce!

I'd probably move into the taco place.. and I love how you washed down the chips with the pineapple marshmallows. They've got fruit in them, so they have to be good for you!!

Sara said...

Tanna - I know! I'm still kicking myself. They don't have it on amazon.ca!

Peabody - Hello Kitty makes goooood marshmallows. Who knew?

Emmy - it was the best! They had a really good corn and onion one too, and one that was all pickled vegetalbes. Soooooo good.

Lis - I would go back in a heartbeat if only to visit Maui Taco again.